Friday, May 05, 2006

Summer

I have been so refreshed lately, I am loving spring. Our earth finally has substance. No more bare, trees, and dead flowers. The daffodils and crocuses have pushed thru the hard cracked soil declaring, it's time for the newness of the season. The daffodil shows so much strength to me. Even though there will still be cold and frost, they are standing firm, heads held high towards the sunshine, declaring their existence. Maybe we should be like daffodils. Even as they face the bleak, first days of spring, they are happy to be standing in the sun, giving us hope that the warmth will soon be. God tells us to do the same, to not loose heart for in due time we will reap the harvest. Those daffodils do get to welcome in the most anticipated first warm days of the season. For some reason it is hard for us to keep our heads up in the "bleak" seasons. It seems, especially in my life, it is easier to be in a rut of the hard places. It seems like the hard seasons out number the good. I am determined to overcome this cycle. I am determined to push thru the dry cracked soil with my head held high to my "Son"shine. Knowing that there are still "coldness" and "frost" still ahead, I will keep pushing! Shining the beauty God has given to me. Otherwise how will I get to the place I want to be? How else will I walk into my purpose, my calling?

Right now I am holding onto memories past and to come of summer. Personally I like to be lazy, I don't like to be too hot in the sun, or too cold in the breeze, I hate the dirty toes when the sandals are removed from my children's perfectly, cute feet, I dislike the sand that is tracked up the stairs into my kitchen...everyday...multiple times, I hate the sticky skin from the eagerness to run around for hours on end, I hate the constant nagging, "The Ice cream truck", I'd much rather be stuck inside for the majority of the day. With God's grace I will enjoy all of these this year.

For the last few months I have been praying for God to let me fully enjoy my children this summer. I need to put them and their desires before my own selfish ones. Already I have been doing good! The smiles on their tired faces in the evening makes it all worth while! And guess what? My house hasn't fallen apart!!!

If you think of me this summer say a little prayer! And give me a call and tell me you want to come play too!

We made a list of stuff to dot his summer. My favorite is the Ice Cream challenge!! We will visit 10 ice cream stores May -Sept. (2 each month) and we will decide who has the best ice cream!!

Can't wait to make many memories!!

9 comments:

Autumn said...

I like the ice cream idea. :)

Jason said...

I will do the ice cream challenge as well. 2 each week. That way I can do like 20 stores and do a round-robin tournament to decide who the true winner is.

Anonymous said...

donna, you are a GREAT writer! i love how you wrote the first paragraph - so poetic.

mmmmmmmmmmm, ice cream. my challange has to be to NOT go out for it 10 times. :)

Donna said...

Amy who?
And I figure if we do ice cream 2x a month I can't rationalize buying it to have at home. So hopefuly we can stick to ONLY 2x a month. Yeah right!!

VICTORIA said...

The Icecream challenge sounds great! I will have to come up with many of our own missions this summer. I too must step back, and let them go, get dirty, sweaty, injured for the sake of thier own experiences, fun, etc. I too CAN'T stand sticky sweaty kids, sandy toes, black dirty grass stained feet, popscicle faces...BUT, it's childhood, it's amazing, it's memories! Enjoy your summer!

Crystal said...

I'll do the ice cream challenge too...just make sure I bring a stairstepper with me.

Bek said...

i love your vulnerability about the kids and summertime. i have a bunch of things that are annoying that i want to just enjoy too. and they came to mind when i read this post. good challenge. and the ice cream challenge. puhleez. :) i do NOT need another excuse to eat icecream right now. i just had a bowl of moose trecks, mint chocolate chip and cookie dough. and being pregnant is only gonna last me as an excuse for 2 more months. :)

Kimber said...

Donna - you make me smile!!! I love your vunerable side too! I also get annoyed at the ICE CREAM TRUCK that comes through our neighborhood TWICE a DAY!!! And the dirty feet can bug me too!!

LOVE the ice cream challenge idea -and Jason's idea too!! Do you think I could take my kids to have ice cream and NOT have any myself? Things that make you go, "hhhhhmmmmmm!!!"

P.S. Thanks for the nice comment on my blog - you are always so sweet!!

Jason said...

Things taht make you go hmmm? Wasn't that a song by C & C Music Factory?