Thursday, March 15, 2007

What is this world coming to?

We all had tornado, and fire drills in school, but guess what kind of drills they have in school now??

That's right terroist attck drills or bomber drills.
To protect the kids if there was a violent attack of any kind on the school.

Merci was telling me they had to find a good place to hide in case someone was going to "shoot" them. She lost the first time and learned hiding next tot he computer was a bad spot, becasue she got "shot". She did find a nice safe place the next time though.

At first I was a little annoyed and wanted to march in and yell at the teacher for pretending to "shoot" my kid. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized how much of a reality it is.
It made me really sad.

The things are kids have to hear about and experience is mind boggling.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Scary, isn't it. The state is now requiring schools to do lock-downs drills in case of intruders. My building will definitely not be doing the "shooting" like they did a Merci's. That's going way too far in my opinion! Our kids should feel like school is a safe place to be...because generally it is.

Wendy said...

WOW! That is some drill! My son's school practices a "lock down" drill but I have never heard of taking it this far! I hope that doesn't scare her!

Kimber said...

I would be with ya on this one....I would be concerned that these drills would just produce fear....?????? But, I understand that it can be a reality that children could face....It is sad that being "shot" at is a reality for any of us - Can't wait for the Lord's return!!