Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Community

I was touched by the support of the people in our city and surrounding cities, this morning. It was kind of weird how things played out. I was on my way to pick up an application at Life Skills Center for my brother in law, Isaac. As you all know a Cleveland police officer was shot and killed last week on my street. **Don't worry it was further down our street, we are close to the 3500's and this happend in the 3200's.** We had to drive past the house where he was shot, the lawn was covered with flowers, baloons, stuffed animals and lots of other stuff. I was touched and got all teary eyed. I was able to point out the house and explain to my brother and sister in law (ages 9 and 10) why the memorial was there. On our way back out here to my in-laws house I noticed an unusual amount of cars pulled off to the side of the road, there was also a firetruck with the lights on, stopped on the bridge overpass, and there were a ton of people gathered around. I began to sob as I realized why they were there. The funeral procession would be passing by. As I continued to drive, there were firetrucks on the side of the road every few miles, ready to salute the passing fallen police officer. I called Josh and I was all weepy, just touched by the support of our fellow citizens, who don't even know this guy. It was amazing. After I got off the phone with Josh is when I really lost it. We got to see hundreds of police on motorcycles and hundred of police cars following. It sure was a site to see. The highway was stopped for miles and, you didn't hear any horns, all you saw was people standing on the hoods of their cars saluting the passing hero.

I wish, as citizen of this state, and country for that matter, would come together more often. I was reallyt ouched to see this display of love and support. It makes me think of when we are in heaven, it is gonna be AWESOME!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, what an experience. thank you for sharing it with us.

Jason said...

You know what's really cool? Hundreds of police officers from all over the country (New York, Chicago, etc) came to town to pay their respects.

Anonymous said...

My heart was touched also. Thanks Donna for sharing. And for all you do. I always enjoy coming to check out your blog.

praying for you today,

Aunt Glenda

Autumn said...

I knew the funeral was today and was thinking about it while driving earlier. I'm glad you got to see that happen, and thanks for sharing it with us.

Margo said...

That's so heartwarming, Donna. Thanks for sharing.

Crystal said...

I heard about that police officer. How sad. But how awesome for all of his fellow officers, firefighters and neighbors to come out and salute him!

Bek said...

wow, donna. that is amazing. i didn't know this happenned on your street!? what a sight.

Kim Lasko said...

Last tues I went to the funneral home to pay my respects. All around me were hundreds of officers from all over and from all branches of gov. I to live in the area. On the fri after the shotting i went to lay flowers at the site. I never knew the officer but you couldfeel the loss in the neighborhood. I wanted the family to know that some in the distrect was sad that he was gone.
Then on wends. i was running late to work and as I was headding down I-71South I was coming up to snow rd when all of a sudden there was NO north bound traffic. it was kind of weird. but as I kept driving you could see the lights coiming towards you. for what seemed like a half an hour there were officers for as far as the eye could see. My eyes started to well up with tears and by the time I got to work I got to watch the event on the tv.
This city lost a hero (we need all that we can get)